Exclusive by Raïssa Robles
Suddenly last Thursday, I finally obtained an interview with Philippine President Benigno Aquino III.
Here is an excerpt from the first story on Vietnam and the Philippines that appeared today on the newly launched website of South China Morning Post (HK).
Some of you guessed it right!
I’d like to thank Communications Secretary Sonny Coloma for arranging the interview which has been five years in the making. And President Aquino for patiently answering three pages worth of questions. But more on that later.
I still have to write the other stories.
Meanwhile, here’s the first one –
Vietnam asked Philippines to form pact to counter China, Aquino reveals
Both countries are embroiled in territorial disputes with China in the South China Sea
A new “strategic partnership” being negotiated between two states fending off China’s maritime claims in the South China Sea was suggested by Vietnam, Philippine President Benigno Aquino has revealed.
It had been widely assumed that the proposed pact between Vietnam and the Philippines was initiated by Manila, which has taken a high-profile stand against China.
In an exclusive interview with the South China Morning Post, the Philippine president said China’s moves in the South China Sea were even more alarming than a year ago, when he likened global inaction to China’s push to appeasing Hitler – comments that angered China.
In the interview last Thursday, Aquino stood by his remarks. Pulling out a map of the South China Sea, he said: “Perhaps it’s even worse today.”
To read the rest, which is still rather long, please click on this link.
Hi Raissa, the link to the article you’ve written goes to the home page of the South China Morning Post and not to the article itself.
Dusk or Dawn, still a ray of hope?
ASEAN, China discuss ‘hotline’ for sea dispute – Philippines